There are several cloud hosting solutions out there, but Google’s App Engine is still CreOFF’s favourite.
App Engine is a good choice for:
- Web services or online software (Software As A service)
- Sites for big events like rock concerts, international seminars, Royal Weddings…
- Brand activation campaigns and minisites
- Backends for Flash/Flex/Facebook/mobile games or apps
In fact, any project where traditional servers would have a hard time keeping up with the sudden peaks in traffic will benefit from running on Google’s cloud.
Benefits and limitations of Google App Engine
Google App Engine is a good choice, but not suitable for every project. It’s important to know when to use App Engine and when to use a different solution.
- Pricing: pay what you use, below quota the hosting is COMPLETELY FREE
- Automatic scaling: can handle sudden peaks in traffic automatically
- Decentralized: your app can automatically run on different servers around the world depending on location of users
- Platform As A Service (PaaS), allows easier deployment and versioning
- New features and bugfixes being added by Google on a regular basis
- Several technical constraints to ensure scalability
- Less suited for very complex database queries and transactions
- Still very much do-it-yourself, no ready-made open source solutions like WordPress or Drupal available
Contact CreOFF to see if your idea would benefit from running on Google App Engine. I will gladly discuss the possibilities with you.